Skip to main content

Big Hill, Big Champs

Cherryvale, Kansas

This past weekend several Anglers from the Oklahoma Kayak Anglers competed in the King of the Hill tournament hosted by North East Kansas Kayak Anglers. This event is on Big Hill resivoir located in SE Kansas nestled in rolling foothills and dense forests.

The rules of the game were simple, the best 3 finishers from a given club score points based on their total inches caught that day. The club with the most inches takes home the Traveling Trophy! 

Anglers from the OKA who competed were: Jeff Her, Luke Aryan, Jon Queen, Ryan Hendricks, Jason Ray and Josh Barlow. The scoring anglers for the OKA were Josh Barlow - 6th place with 76.25", Jason Ray - 7th place with 75.00" and Jon Queen - 8th Place 73.75". 

Normally anglers who have certain success will be tight lipped about how and when they caught their fish. This is not the case with these fellas, they targeted isolated trees with shad pattern moving baits early in the morning and moved to slower moving craw patterns later in the day. 

Thank you to all that competed! You represented the Oklahoma Kayak Anglers well! 

- Avery Metcalf 

For the latest news and details visit our website at: https://www.oklahomakayakanglers.com/home

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lakes and Regions of Oklahoma

If you have ever traveled more than 2 hours to fish in the state of Oklahoma chances are you have crossed through, in, and out of several distinct regions of this great state. Oklahoma has 10 ecological regions that include: The Gypsum Hills, Wichita Mountains, Red Bed Plains, Sandstone Hills, Arbuckle Mountains, Red River Plains, Ouachita Mountains, and the Ozark Plateau. Each one of the ecological regions have different climates, annual rainfalls, soil, and landscapes that can and do effect the way we fish lakes in each region. Oklahoma has 52 major lakes that are 1,000 acres or more in size. Additionally, there are over 3,000 lakes and ponds that are 10 acres or greater in size, containing a total of 1,049 square miles of water and 10,384 miles of shoreline. Moreover, these waters are separated into Watershed Planning Regions. These regions are as follows: Panhandle, West Central, Southwest, Beaver - Cache, Central, Lower Washita, Blue - Boggy, Eufaula, Lower Arkansas, Grand, Midd

Kayak Tournaments Made Me A Better Angler

I would like to start off by saying that I have fished my entire life, looking back throughout my young life, fishing may have not been the priority at that moment in time but it was the first thing I did when I had nothing else on the schedule. With that being said fishing kayak tournaments without a doubt have made me a better angler, outdoorsman, and fan of the sport of bass fishing. I can remember walking the clear creeks of northeastern, Oklahoma looking for that 5 pounder around the next bend, or riding my bike around the greater Catoosa area trying to find that loaded pond or strip pit. Later I was driving my 1990, 5 speed Ford Ranger to the local hotspot. Fast-forward a few years later and I was off to college at Northeastern State in Tahlequah having the Illinois River and Barron fork Creek at my disposal. Both the river and creek are outstanding places to fish and I couldn't get enough. I loved fishing the Illinois River so much I applied for a job at War Eagle Resort and

Integrity Always Wins

By: Tom Hins In 2015 I discovered the world of Oklahoma Kayak Anglers.  I quickly made friends with members like Brent Wilson, Danny Bowen, Avery Metcalf, Jonathan Queen and other individuals. Having been a person who fished for table fare I hardly fished for bass before this. It has been a learning curve for me. The first year of tournaments I do not think I even submitted one scorable fish, but I was hooked on the competition aspect of these tourneys.  After that first season over the winter I watched more bass fishing shows and videos on the internet about bass fishing where my wife would walk by and say oh let me guess another fishing show.  The next year I started to catch some bass and started to feel I was at least respectable turning in scorable bass. In 2019 I finally cashed in a tournament with a 3 rd  place finish. Then came 2020 and Covid - 19 and two major projects at work, I have not fished most of the tournaments this year, in fact it has kept me from getting out to fish